Wednesday, February 16, 2011

CARNE GUISADA (PUERTO RICAN STYLE BEEF STEW)

Today I decided to get back into Puerto Rican cooking.  When we first married, we started looking for English-language Puerto Rican cookbooks.  Now, since then, we have found several, but at that time, we couldn't find any.  The best that I could do was a few recipes on the Internet.  I must have found this recipe on one of those sites, but I have no idea which one.  And, of course, over eight years, I have made my usual changes to it to suit myself.  If you like beef stew, I think you'll like this.  As much as I like beef stew, the same ol' same ol' can get old after awhile.  This is just different enough. 

But first....music to cook by.....I've been listening to this soundtrack for the last few days, and thought I would share it here.    


CARNE GUISADA

1 1/2 lbs stew meat                         10 olives, chopped
3-5  potatoes                                    2 bay leaves
1 tsp salt                                           1 tsp olive oil
3 Tbsp recaito                                   1 carrot
8-oz tomato sauce                            1 stalk of celery
2 cups beef stock



Place meat and salt in pan with enough water to cover. Cook at medium high heat until boiling, then lower heat and cook 45 minutes.  Remove from heat and drain.  Peel and dice potatoes.  Dice carrot and celery.  Add recaito, tomato sauce, olives, potatoes, carrot, celery, bay leaves, olive oil and beef stock.  Cook at moderate heat until boiling.  Lower to medium heat and simmer 20 minutes, stirring once.  Add meat; continue to simmer at medium heat for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.  Serve with white rice and tostones.
Now, you may be asking, what are tostones?  The short answer to that question is, they're twice-fried plantains.  We'll talk about how to cook them another day.  And another thing:  sometimes I make my recaito from scratch.  Another thing we'll talk about another day.   ¡Bueno appetit!
The Country Cook


THIS POST CAN ALSO BE FOUND AT THE COUNTRY COOK 

Until next time, Happy Cooking!  :)

"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending." — Maria Robinson

CONTACT ME 






Very Good Recipes - Kingdom of Puerto Rican Recipes
TAGS: PUERTO RICAN

6 comments:

Tabitha (a.k.a. Penny) said...

This looks incredible and I definitely want to try it soon but I don't know what recaito is? HELP!

Thanks for linking up at Foodie Friday. I'm pinning this to my main dishes board on Pinterest.

Unknown said...

Recaito is like a condiment in Puerto Rican cooking. It's used as a base in a lot of recipes. I don't think it's ever used alone. Anyway, I've been intending to post the recipe to make it from scratch for those who can't find it in their area. To be honest, I usually just buy it in the supermarket. Goya foods makes a really great version found in the frozen section. Thanks for the pin! : )

noelleroman said...

Sounds real easy.... I'm going to make this dish "carne guisada". I hope my PR husband likes it. When it comes to FOOD, he's so hard to please. lol

Unknown said...

Have you tried it yet? I was curious as to whether or not he liked it. Jorge is rather hard to please sometimes, but he always likes this.

clgk said...

I just discovered your site as I was looking for a carne guisada recipe. It was my favorite dish from my mom who passed a year ago but I never got the recipe. I have to say that it was just like mami used to make and brought back a lot of memories. Thank-you.

Unknown said...

@clgk - I'm glad this recipe helped you and brought back memories. So sorry to hear of your loss; it's never easy to lose a loved one, but when we have happy memories to treasure, it helps. Thank you for your kind comment; I enjoyed hearing from you.

AddThis

Pin It