Saturday, February 26, 2011

PUERTO RICAN STYLE CORNED BEEF AND RICE

Before we start cooking today, let me tell you my sad news.  My laptop is in the shop.  :(  It has been for a few days now.  Yes, I can use this one (Jorge's), but it just isn't the same.  Apparently, even with all my anti-virus protection, my computer was BADLY infected.  And I don't know how it happened!  Grrrr....



One of the first and simplest Puerto Rican recipes I learned to cook was corned beef and rice.  I admit, it's high in sodium, so I don't advocate eating it every day, but every now and then, it is soooo good!  I quit measuring for this a long time ago, so I had to slow down and pay attention to what I was doing this time. 



Don't forget your music to cook by.....







PUERTO RICAN STYLE CORNED BEEF AND RICE
5 Tbsp canola oil
1 potato, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup chopped onion
10 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup red bell pepper, minced
1 packet Sazon
1 packet chicken bouillon
1/4 tsp Adobo
1 8-oz. can Iberia Spanish-style Tomato Sauce
6 oz. beef broth
1 can corned beef
1/4 cup green onion, chopped


Fry chopped potato in canola oil.  Remove from pan; drain on paper towel.  Add onion, garlic, pepper, and seasonings to pan.  Cook 3 minutes, stirring frequently.  Add tomato sauce and beef broth; bring to a boil.  Add corned beef; lower heat to simmer. It will probably be necessary to break up beef with fork.  Cover and cook at least 15 minutes.  Stir in potato and green onion; cook additional 5 minutes. 




 Serve with white rice.


Remember the tostones and garlic sauce?  Serve with the corned beef and rice.....Que bueno!

Until next time, Happy Cooking!   : )

What sunshine is to flowers, smiles are to humanity. These are but trifles, to be sure; but, scattered along life's pathway, the good they do is inconceivable. - Joseph Addison



CONTACT ME




Very Good Recipes - Kingdom of Puerto Rican Recipes
TAGS: PUERTO RICAN

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can I do this with a real Corned Beef Brisket? I have a recipe from Alton Brown (FoodNetwork)

Unknown said...

Hmmm....interesting question. I don't think it would work. The canned variety is more of a ground meat and tastes different. If you do try it, please let me know how it turns out. Thanks for stopping by! : )

Unknown said...

Yes it is very interesting, but I recommend you to try the argentinian beef with french frites. Are awesome. I have been there last year and I tell you. It is like having a party in the stomach. I have rented some apartments in buenos aires and I have stayed for two months. Just becaus of the meat. :)

Cynthia Dagnal Myron said...

I'm going to make this for my Hopi in laws and friends! The Goya Adobo is hard to find these days, but I think I can come up with something similar on my own. GREAT recipe!

Anonymous said...

Great recipe my puerto Rican husband thanks you

Tammy Rivera said...

My husbands parents are from puerto Rico and he was raised on this so I went in search for a recipe and found yours it was so awesome he is very happy will go in my to make once a month book at his request thank you

AddThis

Pin It