Monday, February 14, 2011

BAKE M & M COOKIES FOR YOUR SWEETIE TODAY!


Happy Valentine's Day!  Today is a holiday celebrated  by Hallmark, FTD, and restaurants everywhere.   Ummm, sorry, I meant to say by lovers everywhere.  It just seems that way, right?  It's really an odd holiday, when you think of it.  According to Wikipedia, the holiday originated in celebration of two early Christian martyrs (both named Valentine, duh!).  Valentine of Rome was martyred around AD 269 and Valentine of Terni was martyred during the persecution under Emperor Aurelian who ruled from AD 270 to AD 275.  That's right; I said martyred.  We're eating chocolate and sniffing roses because of dead people.  Soooo sorry if I spoiled your romantic mood.  I just thought you should know.  LOL

But on to modern day romance.  The day has been associated with love and romance since the Middle Ages, so let's go with that.  In keeping with my long-standing rule of not cooking on Valentine's Day (or my birthday or our wedding anniversary), I baked these cookies 
for Jorge last night.  Sadly, this is not my recipe.  I found this on Southern Plate recently, and it's a keeper.  M&Ms and cookies; what a great combination!

M&M Cookies
1 cup Solid Vegetable Shortening
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup Sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 eggs
2  1/2 cups self rising flour
1  1/2 cups M&M’s


Cream shortening, sugars, eggs, and vanilla thoroughly. Gradually add in flour and mix well (or just dump it in all at once like I do). Stir in 1/2 cup M&M’s, reserving rest to decorate the tops with.  Form dough into one inch balls and place on greased cookie sheet. Decorate tops with additional M&M’s.


Bake at 375 for ten to twelve minutes or until golden brown.  Makes about five dozen.


Happy Valentine's Day!

Until next time, Happy Cooking!  : )
"Love is the condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own.” - Robert Heinlein

CONTACT ME 
TAGS:  COOKIES

0 comments:

AddThis

Pin It