Tuesday, April 5, 2011

COCA-COLA BAKED BEANS

It's been a few days since I posted a new recipe.  We've had out-of-town guests, my allergies are unbelievable, and we're getting ready for the Baby Shower of the Century.  That's right; we're going to be grandparents!  : )

Now, growin' up in the South (yes, Kentucky is the South!), we had our own terminology and names for products.  And one MAJOR difference between us and the rest of the country was our name for soft drinks.  In my part of the world, we didn't say soft drink and we sure as God made little green apples didn't say soda or soda pop.  We said "Co-Cola".  Not Coca-Cola; not Coke.  Okay, sometimes we did say Coke.  But the point is, no matter what brand it was, even one of those little-known, long-forgotten brands like Faygo and Shasta, when we offered someone a drink, we asked, "You want a Co-Cola?"  I guess this stems from Coca-Cola being headquartered in the Real South, Atlanta.  These days, I don't always call everything Co-Cola, but I still think that Coca-Cola is one of the key ingredients to many a good recipe.   And when I say Coca-Cola, I mean, no pun intended, The Real Thing.  And if possible, the Real Real Thing, as in made with sugar, not that gosh-awful corn syrup or whatever it is they started using in the 80's.  When I want to cook with it, or when I just really want that good ol' flavor again, I go to Wal-Mart or Sam's Club and buy those little glass bottles from Mexico.  Down there, they're still making it with sugar like the good Lord intended.  That being said, when this recipe calls for Coca-Cola, I mean the good stuff in the little glass bottles.  But if you can't find it where you live, or if you just really like the new stuff, go ahead.  Just don't tell me about it.


Now, onto the recipe......


COCA-COLA BAKED BEANS
5 Slices bacon
1/4 c. diced onion
1/4 c. diced green bell pepper
2 cloves garlic, diced
2 cans pork 'n' beans
1/4 tsp ground mustard
1/4 tsp ground pepper
1 c brown sugar
1/2 c catsup
1/2 c Coca-Cola


Fry bacon until crisp.  Remove from pan and drain on paper towel.  Cook onion, peppers, and garlic in bacon grease until tender.  Remove with slotted spoon and add to casserole dish.  Mix all other ingredients in dish.  Crumble bacon into mixture; stir thoroughly.  Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 2 hours or until bubbly.


There.  That's it.  You're done.  I wish I had taken time to take a picture, but alas, I have been very busy and when I cook, I don't have time to stop and take pictures.  But you know what baked beans should look like anyway, don't you?  


This recipe is a combination of recipes I've tried through the years along with my own experiments that have met with varying levels of success.  This final incarnation is the best so far, IMHO.  So, the next time you need a dish for a picnic or potluck, pop open a bottle of Coca-Cola and start cooking!  : )


MUSIC TO COOK BY
Until next time, Happy Cooking!  : )


The doors we open and close each day decide the lives we live. - Flora Whittemore

CONTACT ME 

0 comments:

AddThis

Pin It