Friday, January 13, 2012

CARNE GUISADA IMPROVISADA (or How I Made Carne Guisada in Kentucky)

For the last few days (and for the next few days), I have been visiting my parents in Kentucky.  Jorge and I came up to celebrate my father's 70th birthday, and I stayed on for a few more days. 
My father and I at his 70th birthday party
Yesterday, my mom requested Carne Guisada, so we headed out to the store for the ingredients.  Guess what?  Kentucky (or at least our little corner of it) doesn't seem to have a lot of the ingredients I needed.  Specifically, don't bother looking for  GOYA products in western Kentucky.  Never fear; I love a challenge.  Not only is necessity the mother of invention, it's the father of improvisation.  And, if I do say so myself, it turned out rather well.  BTW, I should mention that she did have Adobo and Sazon in her cabinets, and I made the ultimate sacrifice and used the Recaito they sell in a jar.   No offense to Goya, but the stuff in the frozen department is WAAAAAY better.  But, sometimes, ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

CARNE GUISADA IMPROVISADA



2 Tbsp canola oil                                    1/2 tsp cumin
4 lb beef stew meat                                 8 oz tomato sauce
1 1/2 c flour                                               6 c beef stock
Adobo, to taste                                        3 bay leaves
2 packets Sazon                                     4 potatoes, peeled and diced
2 Tbsp olive oil                                        2 carrots, diced
2 Tbsp recaito                                         2 stalks celery, diced
10 olives, chopped


Season stew meat with Adobo and Sazon and coat with flour.Pour canola oil in cast iron Dutch oven.  While browning meat in Dutch oven, pour olive oil in stock pot.  Saute recaito in olive oil for 3 minutes, stirring frequently.  Add remaining ingredients.  Bring to a boil.  Add meat to stock pot; bring to a boil again, cover and let simmer 1 hour, stirring frequently.  Serve with white rice.



MUSIC TO COOK BY


My hometown





Until next time, Happy Cooking!  :)


“No matter where you go in Kentucky, people smile at you and wave and make you feel welcome." - Chris Vaught




TAGS:  PUERTO RICAN



0 comments:

AddThis

Pin It