Wednesday, July 25, 2012

SAUTEED SUMMER SQUASH

Here is yet another story from our Kentucky trip.  We were on our way to Cave-in-Rock State Park in Illinois on Monday when we stopped at Brumfield Farm Market in Madisonville, KY.  I had never been there before, but my mother had heard that they had Serendipity sweet corn for sale.  I'm not picky enough to ask for brand names as long as it's yellow.  White corn just doesn't  do it for me.  Sadly, there was no Serendipity corn, but that didn't ruin my day.  This farm market is awesome!  It is a very nice building, not an outside stand, air-conditioned (a necessity in the heat wave they're experiencing this year), and a great variety of produce and home-canned goods.       

They had so much that I didn't know where to start.  I finally bought summer squash, cucumbers, green bell peppers,  homemade peanut butter, and smoky horseradish sauce.    
   







I could hardly wait to get back home to start cooking and eating those vegetables.  We had some of the squash last week in a recipe from a cookbook that I'm reviewing.  So check back on Aug 18 to read more about that recipe; that's the way I post the review.  It's a great cookbook and I'm excited to be able to tell y'all about it.  Anyway, tonight I had two squash left (what is the plural of squash, I wonder) and I wanted to use more of those veggies before they go bad, so this recipe is the end result of this long story.  And yes, it probably is similar to other things I've cooked in the past, but it's slightly different, and it was gooooooood........


SAUTEED SUMMER SQUASH

2  summer squash, chopped into small chunks
2  small onions, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, torn
1 tsp kosher salt
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
cooking spray OR 2 Tbsp vegetable oil

Heat oil in cast iron skillet.  Add all ingredients; saute for 5-10 minutes or until vegetables are tender but not mushy.

Now, here's my confession:  I used bacon grease instead of vegetable oil.  I know that 5 health-conscious people just passed out, but I don't do that very often, and it was sooo good!  Just don't make a habit of it, and don't tell anyone you did it.  


One last photo...

Outside the opening of the cave overlooking the
Ohio River


MUSIC TO COOK BY


18 South -  "Run On"


Until next time, Happy Cooking!  : )

"Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself." - Unknown



0 comments:

AddThis

Pin It