Monday, July 23, 2012

YES, YOU CAN GO HOME AGAIN: AUNT BARBARA'S CHERRY SALAD


A brief explanation for my recent absence:  You may have noticed that the Self-Taught Cook has been rather silent lately.  I have been unable to blog very often due to health problems and family obligations, but things are getting better and I have returned to the kitchen.  I tried to fill the void on here with book reviews, and will continue to feature reviews because I REALLY like to read, but recipes will once again be my main focus.  To everyone who did not forget me while I was out--THANK YOU!  




Last weekend, we went home to Kentucky for my 30-year High School reunion.  We had an awesome time seeing old friends and making new ones.  Of course, a trip home is not complete until I've pulled at least a couple of recipes out of my relatives.  This trip was no different, and my Aunt Barbara never disappoints me.  She always has a new recipe she's just tried, and she's always willing to share.  Gotta love a person like that.  : )  She brought over a bowl of  Cherry Salad for us to try, and it was delish!  I didn't even wait to be polite, but just grabbed my laptop and started typing the recipe.  I typed with one hand and held a spoon in the other.  This will be one of those dishes everyone begs you to bring to potlucks and family dinners.       
Okay, I took this picture of Aunt Barbara last Thanksgiving, but it's still a good picture. The little cutie she's holding is her latest grandchild.  

And as for the trip and the reunion, more blog posts will follow.  I think I may have at least a week's worth to talk about on here.  Stay tuned....



AUNT BARBARA'S CHERRY SALAD

1 can cherry pie filling
1 can crushed pineapple, drained
1 can Eagle Brand milk
1 9oz. carton Cool Whip
1 C chopped pecans


Mix together; refrigerate.

There you go!  In the words of Rachael Ray, "Easy-peasy!"  

music to cook by

John Cowan  - "On Your Way Down"


Until next time, Happy Cooking!  : )

"Live so your autograph will be wanted, and not your fingerprints."  - Unknown

0 comments:

AddThis

Pin It