Friday, September 21, 2012

MAMA'S BANANA PUDDING - HAPPY INTERNATIONAL BANANA FESTIVAL DAY!

Happy International Banana Festival Day!

It seems that every day is some sort of holiday, no matter how strange.  All you have to do is Google the date, and somewhere, someone is celebrating something.  My favorites, of course, are the food holidays.  Although bananas are not my favorite fruit, I will admit that they are good for you.  They're an excellent source of potassium, but I still prefer them in a dessert recipe rather than on their own.
One of my favorite desserts when I was growing up was banana pudding.  I may be biased, but I always thought my mother's banana pudding was the best.  For one thing, her recipe  doesn't use an instant pudding mix like so many other recipes.  Anyway, I couldn't make a banana pudding today to show you because my kitchen  and my cookbooks are all packed up and ready to go, but Mama sent her recipe.  I wish you could see it, though, because she always has the prettiest meringues.  Mine taste good, but they're not artistic.  Oh, well, once people start dipping into it, it doesn't matter anyway, right?
MAMA'S BANANA PUDDING
 
1 3/4 C sugar
3 Tbsp Flour (piled)
2 egg yolks
2 C Milk
Mix sugar and flour well. mix eggs and add milk. Cook until thick.  Layer graham crackers, filing , and bananas.  Repeat until done.  Top with meringue.  Bake at 325 degrees for 20 to 30 minutes or until meringue begins to brown. 
MERINGUE

3 egg whites
6 Tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp cream of tartar

Beat egg whites.  Slowly add  sugar and cream of tartar.  Beat until peaks form.  Bake at 325 degrees for 20 to 30 minutes or until meringue begins to brown.  
 (Will cover banana puding above, or 2 pies)




music to cook by

Rubén González - Melodía del rio 

 

Until next time, Happy Cooking!  : )

Food is your body's fuel. Without fuel, your body wants to shut down.  -Ken Hill

0 comments:

AddThis

Pin It