Tuesday, November 27, 2012

GUEST POST: REAL DOGS DON'T WHISPER by KELLY PRESTON

While I normally review books, occasionally I feature a guest post from an author.  Being an animal lover, I could not turn down the opportunity to feature Kelly Preston's new book, Real Dogs Don't Whisper:  Life Lessons from a Larger Than Life Dog and His Owner.  
 
You will have the chance to read an excerpt from the book and an interview with the author, and there will be links to purchase the book.  Enjoy!  :)
 
 
Do you believe in second chances? Real Dogs Don't Whisper book is about second chances and miracles. Read about four rescue dogs that were ready to be given up on because they have special needs; they teach their human about life, love, and hope.

Kelly Preston, co-author of a newly published book, “Real Dogs Don’t Whisper”. Her co-author is Mr. MaGoo; he is a larger than life dog and has a lot to say.

Meet her family like no other: Kelly, Mr. MaGoo, Buffy, Carla Mae, and Betty Boop. A girl, her two Lhasa Apsos, one Cocker Spaniel, and one adorable mutt – each with their own challenging set of difficulties to overcome. One puppy has serious neurological disorders and is blind. Two were severely abused. All are on a journey of discovery. Together, learning love and patience along the way, perhaps none so much as Kelly.

Read the Excerpt 
 
It was at that very moment I realized Carla Mae was not just an angry, aggressive little cuss I taught to play, dance, and cut loose. I saw Carla Mae for the first time, as she really was— a scared puppy who learned to mistrust those around her and who learned self-preservation the only way she knew how — by biting first and asking questions later. She was a frightened little dog who eventually found a greater lesson in letting go and learning to laugh and play and yes, of course—dance. Carla Mae, found unconditional love in our family and along the way, she learned to trust. Anyway, as for Dim-Bulb King, cooler heads prevailed that day and, lucky for him, his human finally dragged him away from us. But I sure learned something about my new sister that day.

Carla Mae turned out to be a competitive little tomboy and fair adversary. We love to play Kibble Attack—a game that involves her patiently planning preemptive Kibble invasions, only to be taken off guard by a MaGoo surprise maneuver, overrun and forever a close second only to me. She’s quite the copycat as well, often mimicking our moves. I’m not sure if she’s mocking us all, doing the “when in Rome thing”, or a little of both. What I do know is that I have learned to love Carla Mae and Carla Mae has learned to accept love and even try to nudge in on my petting time with the human and even with random human strangers in the house. She is loved and cared for and Carla Mae is no longer afraid... well, maybe a little afraid of King Crazy Dog, but who wouldn’t be? Other than me, of course.

 
PURCHASE LINKS
 

Interview 
 
Q:  What do you hope this book achieves? 

A:  Together we hope to raise awareness about second chances for those with special needs and try to inspire readers to live in the moment, open your heart; and, what unconditional love truly means.  

Q:  What have you learned in writing this book? 
 
A: I have to say it has been such a rewarding experience.  I have learned so much about the process, the art of writing, touching and inspiring others; this truly has been a priceless effort, I happy to say this will not be my last book.

Q:  How has this book changed your life? 

A: I am doing speaking engagements, meeting fans, and active in pet related fundraising events; all due to this book. 

Q: What do you wish people would understand you…”

A: I would have to say that I wish people would understand that I am very passionate about helping those with special needs; whether for humans or pets, I will try to do whatever I can.  When one opens your heart and allows love in from all, the rewards are priceless.  Plus, the learning’s are valuable and treasured for a life time.  I do get asked a lot, why would I put myself in a situation that more times will end in sorrow and hurt (saving a pet for instance).  I simply reply, it isn’t about me, it is about providing love, warmth, a hug, a warm bed for one that may never had a chance to experience.  The bottom line, it is about being compassionate unconditionally to others.  

Thank you Kelly for stopping by and good luck with your tour.
 
 






 

0 comments:

AddThis

Pin It