Thursday, December 20, 2012

Slow Cooker Coca-Cola Chicken










If you are a food blogger, whether amateur like myself or as a professional, or if you are a foodie, as my husband and I are as well, you probably have favorite food blogs that you follow.  One of my favorites, and one of the first that I found is Southern Plate.  Christy Jordan is not only a great Southern cook, but she writes as though she's talking to a friend.  I've never met her, but when reading her blog posts, I'm convinced that we could sit on the front porch with a glass of sweet tea and swap recipes.  And I'm not even a fan of sweet tea!  lol  But as you may know by now, I am a fan of the slow cooker, so when I saw this on Pinterest, I had to try it.  Now, in my little ol' adaptation, it calls for those magical glass bottles of Coca-Cola imported from Mexico because, as I have so often raved before, they still make it with sugar down there, not corn syrup.  If you want to use the can from here, that's between you and God and your family; just leave me out of it.  I also added a clove of garlic; no good reason; I just really love garlic and have trouble leaving it out of recipes.  

After trying this with a whole chicken as Christy recommends in her recipe, I believe her when she says this will work with boneless chicken or other meats.  It was to-die-for! this time.  The meat just falls off the bone after 8 hours, and shreds nicely if you want barbecue chicken sandwiches.

Slow Cooker Coca-Cola Chicken
Adapted from Southern Plate


1 whole chicken
1 Lemon, cut into quarters
1 Onion, peeled and cut into quarters
1 clove garlic, peeled and smashed
1 bottle BBQ Sauce
1 bottle Coca Cola

Place chicken in crock pot. Toss in onion, lemon, and garlic on top of chicken. Pour in entire bottle of BBQ Sauce and entire bottle of Coke. Cover and cook on low 8 hours.

 music to cook by


Gerry Rafferty - Right Down the Line

 

Until next time, Happy Cooking!  :)

 

Santa saw your Facebook status... he's getting you a dictionary for Christmas.  - Unknown  

0 comments:

AddThis

Pin It