Wednesday, January 9, 2013

ENSALADA VERDE con SOFRITO VINAGRETA (GREEN SALAD WITH SOFRITO DRESSING)

Happy Wednesday!  We've made it to the halfway point of another week!  I hope everyone reading this is having a good day.  It's unseasonably warm here in Kentucky; believe it or not, I'm wishing for snow. 


As I may have told everyone before, one of our Christmas traditions (yes, I'm still talking about Christmas!)  is that Jorge buys me a cookbook every Christmas to add to my collection.  This year.  He found one I hadn't heard of yet, and it's a good one!  I'm really having fun with this one; lots of new recipes with clear pictures of every dish, and clear explanations and directions.  I'm loving it!

One of the first things I tried was a really simple recipe for a green salad with dressing.  Sounds basic, but the twist is in the dressing.  It contains Sofrito and Adobo, which you know by now makes everything good.  ;)

Of course, I never follow the directions exactly, and this time was no exception.  I altered the ingredients slightly to accomodate what I had on hand, and it was still good.  So, here ya go!

ENSALADA VERDE con SOFRITO VINAGRETA 
(GREEN SALAD WITH SOFRITO DRESSING)

1 bag salad greens (Romaine blend)
1/2 bag Romaine, watercress, or baby spinach
1 small bunch cilantro, chopped
1 tomato, chopped
1 cucumber, sliced
1/2 onion, minced
Green Spanish olives stuffed with red pimientos
black olives

Toss greens together with onion in salad bowl.  Layer tomato, cucumber slices, and olives on top.  Drizzle with salad dressing (see recipe below) or serve dressing on the side.

I realize after looking at this picture that some may not want that many cucumber slices.  I <3 them, but if you don't, only slice half a cucumber.  I'm sure you already thought of that, though....

SOFRITO VINAGRETA
(SOFRITO DRESSING)

3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp sofrito
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 tsp Adobo
1/2 tsp oregano

Blend all ingredients in food processor or blender.  Drizzle over salad or serve on the side.          


If you're like us and you can't agree on the amount of salad dressing needed, you might want to serve it on the side, as I did.  And if you think your salad should be drenched (that's my preference, BTW), then you might want to double the recipe.  Just a thought....

music to cook by

  

EL GRAN COMBO MIX 

 

Until next time, Happy Cooking!  :)

It is memory that enables a person to gather roses in January. - Author Unknown

 ******************************************************************************************************

2013 A-Z Reading Challenge

 


Do you love to read?  You know I do!  Escape with Dollycas Into a Good Book is hosting a reading challenge for 2013.This challenge will run from January 1st, 2012 until December 31st, 2013.

You can join anytime. It’s an alphabet challenge!!! The challenge is to read one book starting with every letter of the alphabet. 


So there are two different ways you can set up your own A-Z Reading Challenge.


A -  Make a list on your blog from A-Z. Throughout the year, as you go along, add the books you are reading to the list. Towards the end of the year, you can check and see which letters you are missing and find books to fit.


OR


B - Make a list now of 26 books, picking one for each letter of the alphabet. For example: A – The Azalea Assault B- Blue Monday C – Crops and Robbers D – A Deadly Grind etc.



Books can be read in any order and all formats – print – e-book – audio – are acceptable for this challenge!
Ready to join?? 
Sign up at Escape with Dollycas Into a Good Book and grab the button.  


Non-bloggers you can join too! Just keep track any way you wish and enter a link below if available or sign up in the comment section. You can even set up a special shelf on Goodreads to help you keep track!


Need some help finding titles to match the alphabet –
Jandy’s Reading Room has a wonderful list to get you started.

Here is my list:  
A        AN ANGEL BY HER SIDE - RUTH REID - 4 stars
B       
C       
D       
E       
F        

G       
H       
I       
J       
K       
L       
M       
N       
O       
P        PERIL:  FROM JACKBOOTS TO JACK BENNY - PEARL GOODMAN
Q        QUEEN OF THE AIR:  A TRUE STORY OF LOVE AND TRAGEDY AT THE CIRCUS - DEAN JENSEN
R       
S       
T        THE POSTMISTRESS-SARAH BLAKE
U        UNCONQUERED:  THE SAGA OF COUSINS JERRY LEE LEWIS, JIMMY SWAGGART, AND MICKY GILLEY - J.D. DAVIS
V        VANISHED-IRENE HANNON
W       
X       
Y       
Z       

I will be updating my list and will keep it posted on here.  Check back to see what I've read, and comment and let me know when you join the challenge.  Here's to a year of good reading!


*****************************************************************************************************



 

0 comments:

AddThis

Pin It