Tuesday, June 14, 2011

CHULETAS EMPANADAS (BREADED PORK CHOPS)

Well, it finally happened.  My love of reading has combined with my love of cooking to create a Smithsonian-size collection of cookbooks.  Our house is being overrun with cookbooks.  Not that I'm complaining.  Nothing is more fun than searching for a new recipe.  Which brings us to tonight's dinner.  We haven't been eating much Puerto Rican cuisine lately, so we were overdue.  I went through my Puerto Rican cookbooks last night until I found something that sounded good.  I had not tried this one before, but it was really good.  Unfortunately, no pictures.  Next time I try this one, I'll try to remember to take pictures and post them on here.


CHULETAS EMPANADAS (BREADED PORK CHOPS)
adapted from "Puerto Rican Cuisine in America - Nuyorican and Bodega Recipes" by Oswald Rivera


 4 pork chops
10 whole black peppercorns
 4 cloves garlic, peeled
 1 Tbsp oregano
 1 tsp salt
 1/8 tsp GOYA® Adobo con Pimiento (with Pepper)

1/2 packet GOYA® Sazón with Coriander and Annatto 

2 Tbsp Extra-Virgin Olive Oil

1 tsp white vinegar

1 egg, beaten

1 1/2 c. plain bread crumbs

Vegetable oil for frying  


In a mortar, crush peppercorns, garlic, oregano, salt, Adobo, and Sazon together.  Add olive oil and vinegar; mix.  Fill deep frying pan (I use my cast iron chicken fryer, which is a deep skillet with a lid) halfway with vegetable oil.  Heat oil to medium high heat.  Rub seasoning into each side of chop.  Dip chop into beaten egg.  Coat each side of chop thoroughly with bread crumbs.  Add to frying pan and cook until golden brown (about 4-5 minutes each side) .  



MUSIC TO COOK BY




Until next time, Happy Cooking!  : )







"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality." - Ayn Rand 









Very Good Recipes - Kingdom of Puerto Rican Recipes
TAGS: PUERTO RICAN

0 comments:

AddThis

Pin It