Saturday, February 18, 2012

LOW CARB CHILI

Recently, someone asked me if I had any low-carb recipes to post.  I knew that within this library of cookbooks I could find something, and if all else fails, old recipes can always be changed.  I'm going to try to start posting at least one low-carb recipe a week (key word: TRY).  It wouldn't hurt us to eat a little healthier around here, so I welcome the challenge.  While I'm doing this, I'm going to look at going back to a lower fat menu as well.  Low carbs will help us lose weight, and because of my family's coronary history, it would be nice if we slowed down on clogging the ol' arteries. I'm not saying we'll change our entire diet or my entire blog, but even the occasional change will help a bit.  Hopefully this new leaf will last longer than the time I tried vegetarianism.  I think I made it 24 hours. 

I found this recipe in a Weight Watchers cookbook left over from one of my good intentions a few years ago. As usual, I made a few changes.  Some were necessary because of what I had vs. what their recipe called for, and some were just because it suited me.  And I omitted the carrots (yes, I said carrots!) from their recipe because I believe that putting carrots in chili is culinary blasphemy.  If you want the carrots, feel free to put them back in.  Just don't tell me about it.  ;)

The changes I made didn't make a huge difference in the calories/carbs/fat per serving, and I didn't worry about the fiber, protein, sodium, or cholesterol count.  One change at a time.....

LOW CARB CHILI
adapted from "The Weight Watchers Complete Cookbook & Program Basics, 1994
Serves 4

1 Tbsp + 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 c onions, diced
1/4 c green bell pepper, diced
2 cloves garlic, diced
1/4 tsp jalapeno pepper, minced, no seeds
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano, dried
1 tsp Goya® Adobo con pimiento
pinch of salt
black pepper to taste
2 lean cubed steaks, chopped into small chunks
1 - 14 oz. diced tomatoes
1 - 32 oz. pinto beans
1/4 c water
1/4 c cilantro, chopped

In cast iron skillet, heat oil on medium heat.  Add onions, garlic, bell pepper, and jalapeno.  Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally about 10 minutes.  Add seasonings and cook additional 5 minutes, continuing to stir.  Add beef, breaking up with wooden spoon while stirring.  Cook until meat is browned.  Add mixture to large saucepan.  Pour in tomatoes, beans, and water.  Bring to a boil.  Lower heat and allow to simmer 30 minutes.  Stir in cilantro and serve immediately.

 Each serving:  35g Carbohydrates




MUSIC TO COOK BY


Until next time, Happy Cooking!  : )

Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live. – Jim Rohn


0 comments:

AddThis

Pin It