Friday, February 24, 2012

SOMETHING DIFFERENT- ELK SANDWICH SPREAD & ELK SOUP

A while back someone asked me if I knew any recipes for elk.(Hi, Joan!)  Now, I don't know if you're aware of this, but there aren't too many elk in Central Florida, so I drew a blank.  I did remember, though, that elk and venison are interchangeable in most recipes, and my family in Kentucky  and Oregon lives for deer season, so I asked around and came up with a few recipes.  Also, always remember that if you have ground venison or elk, you can substitute it for ground beef.  Both are leaner animals than cattle (you've probably noticed that), so be prepared to either add some type of fat (veg. oil, shortening, or even.....GASP!!!... Lard!) or just watch it very closely so it doesn't stick and burn.  The only way I have ever eaten and/or cooked venison is ground meat in meatloaf and shredded in the slow cooker as barbecue.  Enough barbecue sauce and you'll forget you're eating Bambi.  Anyway, a few days ago I was looking through old cookbooks and I found a section for "Game".  This book actually told how to skin and dress freshly killed game animals.  It also tells how to cook antelope, bear, and beavers.  I had been thinking of getting rid of this book because it was so old and was taking up room, but it's too weirdly interesting to give away.  Anyway, I thought I would share a couple of recipe for elk today, and from time to time, I'll share a few more.  Just remember, even if it says elk, you can substitute venison if your husband is a deer hunter.  Or if you are.  My niece Milicent killed her first deer this past year.  And even though I'll never be into that, I was proud of her.  GIRL POWER!  Go, Milicent!  : )  Now, remember, I have not tried these recipes, so don't hold me responsible!  ; )


ELK SANDWICH SPREAD

1/2 c ground cooked elk
1/2 tsp prepared horseradish
3 TBSP French dressing

Combine all ingredients.  May be used for hearty sandwiches or as a spread for crackers.

*I suppose that they mean you brown the ground meat as you would ground beef.

ELK SOUP


Knuckle bone and meat, 2 1/2 to 3 lbs
2 qts cold water
1 lg onion, quartered
3/4 c diced celery
1 c diced carrots
4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/3 c rice
2 tsp parsley

Have bone sawed or cracked into several pieces.  Wipe pieces clean with a damp cloth.   Put into soup kettle and add the water.  Heat to boiling.  Reduce heat, cover and simmer gently for 2 to 2 1/2 hrs.  Remove bone, cut off meat and dice.  Return meat and marrow to soup.  Then add onion, celery, carrots, seasonings and rice and continue simmering for 20 to 30 min until rice and vegetables are done.  Sprinkle parsley over each bowl of soup as it is served.  4 to 6 servings.


As I said, I'll post more next week....



Don't forget that the giveaway  for the tostonera, spices, and T-shirt ends Wednesday, 12/29/12 at 12:01 a.m. EST. 



Repost of Giveaway-Related Recipe 
PASTELILLOS DE CARNE (BEEF EPMANADAS WITH PICADILLO FILLING)
1 pkg. GOYA® plantilla rounds 
Picadillo * See Recipe below
Vegetable oil for frying










Place plantilla round on a clean surface ( I use my cutting board).  Roll out plantilla slightly with rolling pin.  Spoon approximately 2 Tbsp of picadillo into center of plantilla. 




Using small basting brush, LIGHTLY wet the edges of plantilla with water.  Fold the round over and press the edges together.  Using the back of a fork, crimp the edges together. 




In a frying pan or deep fryer (I use my cast iron chicken fryer for small batches), heat enough vegetable oil for frying to 350 degrees.  Add in batches and fry for a couple of minutes on each side, until golden.  Remove and drain.  Serve immediately.    These can be frozen  and fried at a later date.  If frying later, DO NOT THAW.  Remove from freezer and fry immediately.






PICADILLO (BEEF FILLING)
1 Tbsp olive oil          
1/2 onion, minced
1/2 red bell pepper, minced
6 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 c. recaito
1 c.  Spanish style tomato sauce
1 tsp oregano
1 Tbsp kosher salt
1 lb. ground beef


Warm the olive oil over medium high heat.  Add the onion, pepper, garlic, and recaito, cooking for 4-5 minutes.  Stir in the tomato sauce, oregano, and salt; cook for another minute.  Add  beef, stirring occasionally until the meat is cooked through and liquid has evaporated.


And the finished product.....








Photography by Raquel Arias


 And today, I just have to tell you about my faithful co-editor, YumYum.  She stays right by my side the entire time I'm at the computer.  Mostly, she sleeps, but every now and then , she looks up and yells an editorial comment.  Either that, or all this talk of food is making her hungry....






Until next time, Happy Cooking!  : )

0 comments:

AddThis

Pin It