Thursday, March 29, 2012

LOW CARB THURSDAY- BEEF BARLEY SOUP

Yay!  Soup again today!  I love soup.  And the only thing better than soup is healthy soup.  That's right.  Today's Beef Barley Soup is low carb, as promised.  A few years ago, I worked at a large medical clinic here in Florida. They had a small cafeteria, nothing impressive looking, but they hired a chef who created the most amazing lunches.  His Beef Barley Soup was so good that I still think about it.  This one may not be quite up to his standard, but it was darned good.  We enjoyed it.  


BEEF BARLEY SOUP
adapted from "The Weight Watchers Complete Cookbook & Program Basics, 1994 


10 oz.  boneless round steak, cut into cubes
3 oz. barley
2 oz dried baby lima beans
1 stalk celery, sliced
1 carrot, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
1 tsp Kosher salt
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
9 c beef broth
1 c sliced mushrooms


Combine meat, barley, lima beans, and beef broth in a large pan or stockpot.  Bring to a boil and skim off foam.  Add onions, carrots, celery, salt, and pepper.  Return to boiling.  Reduce heat, simmer while covered, 1 hour 10 minutes.  Add the mushrooms.  Let simmer, covered, 15 minutes.  

SERVES 4

Calories:          236
Carbohydrates:  28 g


Now, let me tell you what I did differently from their recipe and the shortcut I intend to take next time.  The original recipe only called for 5 cups of liquid, but that boiled down so quickly there would have been no soup by the time it reached the table.  I continued to add broth one cup at a time until I had enough broth.  If 5 cups works for you, that's fine.  It just didn't work for me.  Also, next time I will buy beef stew meat.  Why go through the trouble of cutting the round steak into cubes when I can buy it already cut up.  But that's just me....

MUSIC TO COOK BY



Until next time, Happy cooking!  : )

More gold has been mined from the thoughts of men than has been taken from the earth.  So dust off the cobwebs and use all these great ideas you have!  - Unknown
------------------------------------------------------------------------------


__________________________________________________________________
CONTACT ME


0 comments:

AddThis

Pin It