Thursday, March 22, 2012

LOW CARB THURSDAY - SALMON MINI-LOAVES

Welcome back to Low Carb Thursday! The hunt for low carb recipes is getting to be fun. I'm finding that it is possible to eat healthy meals without sacrificing flavor. And this week's recipe was really exciting. You see, I suffer from severe Vitamin D deficiency. No matter how much the doctor gives me, my body refuses to absorb it. Some of the symptoms of this problem are bone pain and muscle weakness. So, I'm always looking for foods high in Vitamin D, other than milk, which I hate. Recently, I read that while salmon and tuna are good sources of Vitamin D, CANNED salmon and tuna are actually better sources than fresh. Canned salmon contains 130 IU of Vitamin D, which is 33 % of the U.S. Recommended Daily Allowance, while fresh salmon contains only 87 IU of Vitamin D. As much as we love fresh salmon, we will definitely be eating canned salmon and tuna more often. The problem is that there aren't that many ways to prepare canned salmon. I've already posted my recipe for Baked Salmon Croquettes and Somewhat Healthy Fried Salmon Croquettes and frankly, I was out of ideas. So, I started searching for more canned salmon recipes. And the great thing is, it's low carb! So, here is my recipe for Salmon Mini-Loaves.




SALMON MINI-LOAVES
adapted from Alaska Seafood

1 egg
1/4 onion
1/2 celery stalk
3 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp dried dill weed
1/2 tsp Cajun seasoning
1/2 c dry bread crumbs
1 Tbsp lemon juice
olive oil cooking spray

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Coat baking dish with cooking spray.  Drain salmon and mash in bowl. Stir in egg and lemon juice.  Chop onion, celery, and garlic in food processor and add to mixture.  Add dill weed, Cajun seasoning, and bread crumbs and mix well.  Divide mixture into 4 pieces and shape into small loaves in baking dish.  Bake for 20 minutes.

Serves                  4
Calories           254
Total fat              10      g
Cholesterol     119   mg
Protein                26      g
Carbohydrates  16     g

________________________________________________________________

MUSIC TO COOK BY


Until next time, Happy Cooking!  :)

"Remember me and smile, for it's better to forget than to remember me and cry." - DR. SEUSS 

CONTACT ME 

0 comments:

AddThis

Pin It