Monday, November 12, 2012

SWISS STEAK PUERTO RICAN STYLE


Aiyyeee!!!  It's muy fria outside!  Okay, it's really not that cold; probably in the 60s.  But my system hasn't quite adjusted to the Kentucky climate yet, so I think it's cold.  Worse, it looks cold when I look out my kitchen window.  Saturday was a beautiful day.  The sun was out; the temp was in the low 70s with a slight breeze.  Porch weather, in other words.  We sat outside on the front porch and watched the cars go by.  Unfortunately, I think that may have been the last pretty day of the year.  

The view from our front porch

This, of course, has caused me to think of warmer climates, sunny beaches, and balmy breezes.  Puerto Rico, la isla del encanto, or "the island of enchantment".  Admittedly, I have never been there, but it's at the top of my bucket list.  And at the very least, I love the food and the people (one of them, especially.)  This led to a kitchen experiment.  I remember years ago that my mother made Swiss Steak in the slow cooker and I loved it.  So, I decided to make it but "Puerto Rican" it up a bit.  Yummy! 

Swiss Steak Puerto Rican Style

2 lb or larger round steak
3 tsp Adobo con Pimiento
1 packet Sazon
3 tsp white vinegar
1 onion, sliced into thin rings
1 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, diced
1 can diced tomatoes
1/4 c fresh diced tomato

Season round steak with Adobo, Sazon and vinegar.  Refrigerator overnight.  In a skillet on the stovetop, lightly brown round steak on all sides.  Place in slow cooker.  Cook onion and garlic in pan drippings 2-3 minutes, until onion is tender.  Pour on top of roast with drippings.  Place bell pepper slices on top of ingredients.  Top with tomatoes.  Cook on LOW for 6 hours.
Serve with Arroz Blanco and Habichuelas (rice and beans).



*********************************************************************************************************

music to cook by

El Gran Combo f. Gilberto Santa Rosa y Victor Manuelle-El Menu

  ****************************************************************************************

Until next time, Happy Cooking!  : )

Thank God it's finally November, I hate vembers.  - Unknown 

0 comments:

AddThis

Pin It