Friday, November 18, 2011

BROCCOLI SALAD (MY ALL-TIME POTLUCK FAVORITE)

First, just let me be honest with you and tell you that I didn't cook today.  But I have a good excuse.  Today we drove home to Kentucky for Thanksgiving week.  Since we were in a car for 14 hours, cooking was not an option.  Not that I minded.  We stopped for breakfast in Lake Park, Georgia for breakfast at The Farm House Restaurant.  They don't seem to have a website, but they're on I-75 in front of the outlet mall.  This was our second visit there, but we have only had breakfast there, so I can't give an opinion on the other meals.  But I can tell you that breakfast is very good there.  Last time we both had the western omelet with hash browns, and today Jorge had the pancakes and sausage links and I had the biscuits and sausage gravy. No complaints whatsoever.   The gravy and biscuits tasted homemade, and if you have ever had the misfortune of eating breakfast in a fast food restaurant or just a really bad place, you know how important the word homemade is.  No frozen or mix taste here.  The servers are also friendly and helpful.  There's a cute little gift shop attached, not too big, but a nice little selection of cookbooks, a few food items, and Georgia and Florida souvenirs.  

Even though I didn't cook, I want to share my recipe for Broccoli Salad today.  This is another one of those dishes that make the rounds with 15 different variations, and I have no idea where it originated.  Any time I have taken it anywhere, everyone really liked it.  It isn't complicated, and the most complicated part of the whole thing is standing there and frying a pound of bacon.  And no, I don't do that in the microwave.  I know some do, but I still prefer my cast iron skillet.  


Broccoli Salad

2 bunches of fresh broccoli, washed, drained, and cut in bite size pieces 
1/2 red onion, chopped in bite size pieces 
small pkg. roasted and salted sun flower seeds 
1/2 cup raisins
1 lb bacon, fried & chopped
1 cup mayonnaise 
4 tbsp. sugar 
1 tsp vinegar

Mix first five ingredients and let stand several hours in refrigerator. Mix last three ingredients and pour over salad mix.

 Recipe can be adjusted to one's taste. 



I usually double this recipe and the bowl always comes home empty.  : )  Tomorrow, or Monday since I'm not sure if I'll have time to get on here tomorrow, I'll talk about where we stopped for lunch in Atlanta.

MUSIC TO COOK BY
Until next time, Happy Cooking!  : )

Thanksgiving, after all, is a word of action.  ~W.J. Cameron

CONTACT ME 
TAGS:  BROCCOLI SALAD POTLUCK FAVORITE Picnic restaurant review
 VERY GOOD RECIPES - KINGDOM OF PICNIC RECIPES

0 comments:

AddThis

Pin It