Saturday, November 19, 2011

MOM'S CHOCOLATE PIE (THANKSGIVING TRIP DAY #2)

This is the second day in a row that I haven't cooked.  Withdrawal symptoms are beginning to show.  Yesterday, I posted about our trip up here and told about the wonderful country breakfast we had in Lake Park, GA.  Today, before I give out Mom's recipe for chocolate pie, I'll talk about yesterday's lunch.  We had lunch at The Varsity in Atlanta!  

I have read about it, saw it on the Food Network, and always wanted to go there.  Jorge is so good about indulging these little idiosyncrasies of mine, so he planned the day around getting to Atlanta at lunch time.  If you haven't heard of it, The Varsity is the world's largest drive-in.  They have been in business since 1928. Besides the food, one of the things they are famous for is the lingo.  If you eat inside the restaurant (as we did), you stand in front of the counter and the staff yell, "What'll ya have?"

   It's not just a restaurant; it's an experience.  It was so cool.  I know how dorky I sound right now, but I can't help myself.  The late Lewis Grizzard ate there!  He was one of my favorite Southern writers, and I still miss getting a new Grizzard book for Christmas each year.  Anyway, back to the restaurant.


 I had the Glorified Burger and onion rings.  OMG!!!!  I know I carry on about how we need to stay away from fast food and fried foods, but those onion rings were to die for.  Jorge had the Glorified Burger with fries.  We shared our sides ('cos that's how we roll), and the fries were good also, but not like the onion rings.
                                         
 And yes, we bought T-shirts before we left.  Because I am SuperDork.......
My trip planner....





Now, onto today's recipe.  I haven't been cooking, but thank God, the rest of the family has.  LOL  Mom has been making her chocolate pies for as long as I can remember.  I can make them, and they taste right, but as much as it pains me to admit this, I can't get my meringues to look pretty.  And you know how important a pretty meringue is.  Anyway, she baked pies in advance for us and then baked more for today's dinner.  Now, I probably shouldn't do this, but I'm going to share her chocolate pie recipe.  That way, your family can enjoy it, too.  

MOM'S CHOCOLATE PIE RECIPE
  (will make 2 pies)
PIE FILLING
5 Tbsp HERSHEY'S Cocoa
2 c sugar
6 Tbsp flour (piled up)
3 eggs yolks
3 c milk
2 9-inch prepared pie shells

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Place pie shells in the oven until medium brown, approximately 5 minutes.  Remove from oven.  Mix cocoa, sugar and flour well in large bowl.  Mix eggs and add milk,  Mix until there are NO LUMPS.  Use hand mixer if necessary.  Cook until thickened.  Pour pie filling into pie shells.

MERINGUE
3 egg whites (room temperature)
6 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp cream of tartar

Sprinkle cream of tartar over egg whites.  Beat slowly, adding sugar 1 Tbsp at a time.  Gradually increase mixer speed and beat until meringue is stiff with peaks.  Using a spoon, place 5 dollops of meringue on pie.  Smoothe out meringue to edges and make sure no pie filling is visible.  With back of spoon, swirl meringue into valleys and peaks.   Place back in 425 degree oven.  Check at 5 minutes.  Remove when peaks are golden brown.  

Transcribing this recipe has been quite an experience.  Now I know why I have trouble writing down detailed recipes.  It's hereditary.  But now, we have it down for posterity.

MUSIC TO COOK BY

Until next time, Happy Cooking!  : )

Thanksgiving was never meant to be shut up in a single day.  ~Robert Caspar Lintner

CONTACT ME 
TAGS:  DESSERT CHOCOLATE PIE American restaurant review
VERY GOOD RECIPES-KINGDOM OF DESSERTS
VERY GOOD RECIPES - KINGDOM OF CHOCOLATE
Very Good Recipes - Kingdom of American Recipes

0 comments:

AddThis

Pin It