Wednesday, November 30, 2011

EASY HOT BROWN

This guy tried to stick his nose in the car window.  
On our recent Thanksgiving trip, we acted all "touristy" and went to the Land Between the Lakes area one day.  After enjoying the scenery and driving the Elk & Bison Prairie Loop, we drove back to Grand Rivers and had a late lunch at Patti's 1880s Settlement.  The restaurant was already decorated for Christmas inside and out. It's a beautiful place and I highly recommend it.  The food was phenomenal.  I don't remember what everyone else had (I was focused on my own plate), but I had their version of the Kentucky Hot Brown.  Now, in case you are not familiar with the Hot Brown and its history, Wikipedia states that the Hot Brown was first created at the Brown Hotel in Louisville in 1926.  Being a native Kentuckian, this is the story I've always heard, but I must admit that although I've been to Louisville, I have never been to the Brown Hotel or had an official Kentucky Hot Brown.  I do remember that in elementary school, they served a "school-lunch" version created with whatever the government was sending them.  Trust me, Patti's version is WAAAAYYYY better.  

Isn't this just too cute?
   I already had a round one this size, so of course, I had to have the square one.
Now, for the second part of this story.  On the way home from Kentucky, we stopped in South Pittsburgh, TN at the Lodge Factory Store to look at all the cast iron goodies.  I loved this place!  We finally had to leave before I put us into bankruptcy, but not before I bought the cutest little 5 in. square skillet.  I had no idea what I would do with it, I just really wanted it.  When we got home, I started looking at that skillet and thinking about the Hot Brown, and that's when the two parts of the story came together.  I decided this morning to make an easy version of the Hot Brown.  I'll be the first to admit that it is not as good as the restaurant, but if you're in a hurry at home and want something with ham, cheese, and bacon (and who doesn't?) then this will tide you over until you get to Kentucky.

EASY HOT BROWN

1 Tbsp butter
1 slice sandwich bread
1/2 Tbsp Miracle Whip
1 slice tomato
4 slices Oscar Mayer Deli-Fresh Black Forest Ham
4 slices Oscar Mayer Deli-Fresh Cajun Seasoned Chickened Breast
1 slice pepper jack cheese
1 slice Colby cheese
2 Tbsp shaved Parmesan cheese
1 Tbsp shaved Mozzarella cheese
2 slices bacon, fried to desired crispness

In cast iron skillet (or your favorite non-stick pan), melt butter over medium heat.  Brown bread on both sides.  On top side of bread, spread Miracle Whip, then place tomato, ham, chicken, and cheese and place under broiler for 1 minutes.  Press bacon into the top of the sandwich.  



CHRISTMAS SLOW COOKER GIVEAWAY

The nice people at Fix and Forget It are giving away a 6-quart All-Clad slow cooker.  All you have to do is visit their site and leave a comment telling where your slow cooker stays during the holidays.  If you're like me, it never leaves the countertop.  Good luck!  : )

Until next time, Happy Cooking!  : )

Christmas is the gentlest, loveliest festival of the revolving year - and yet, for all that, when it speaks, its voice has strong authority.  ~W.J. Cameron

CONTACT ME 
TAGS:  HAM, CHICKEN, SANDWICH restaurant review
  VERY GOOD RECIPES - KINGDOM OF AMERICAN RECIPES


0 comments:

AddThis

Pin It