Friday, November 11, 2011

POLLO FRITO DE NARANJA (ORANGE FRIED CHICKEN)



Do you get tired of cooking the same thing each night? Well, maybe you don't cook the same thing all the time. I feel that I get in a rut every so often. Yesterday, I had plans to cook Pollo Estofado, but circumstances prevented me from cooking dinner. Instead, we had Chinese takeout. Yep, takeout. And it was goooooood.....Anyhoo, by today, I was out of the mood for Pollo Estofado, which is Spanish for Smothered Chicken BTW, so I decided to come up with something else. I had orange juice and Naranja Agria in the refrigerator, and here is the result.

POLLO FRITO DE NARANJA

5- 6 chicken pieces

1 onion, diced

4 cloves garlic, minced

1 tsp green onion, diced

1 tsp red onion, diced

2 tsp GOYA® Adobo with Pepper

1 tsp paprika

1 Tbsp dried oregano

1/2 c cider vinegar

1/2 c red wine vinegar

6 Tbsp GOYA® Naranja Agria marinade

6 Tbsp Simply Orange® with Mango

Vegetable oil

Whisk together onions, garlic, seasonings, vinegars, marinade, and orange/mango juice in medium bowl. Place chicken pieces in large baking dish and cover with marinade. Cover and place in refrigerator for a couple of hours or overnight, turning pieces occasionally in marinade.

Pour enough oil into a heavy pot (I used my cast iron Dutch oven). Heat oil to medium high. Cook chicken pieces 10 minutes on each side. Keep a close check on this. The marinade will burn on the outside of the chicken if you're not careful. Mine had blackened spots on the crust. Not the end of the world, but not pretty. Remove the chicken. Make sure the chicken is cooked all the way through. I'm sure you know this, but chicken should never, never EVER be pink inside! It's just one of my phobias, so I thought I'd bring it up.










MUSIC TO COOK BY




THE SEARCH FOR FIELD CHILI ROLL CONTINUES......
Recently, I sent an email to Specialty Foods Group, owner of Field Packing Co. in Owensboro, KY.  I had been told that the chili roll was unavailable in that area (which completely ruined my plans for a Thanksgiving chili roll hunt while I was there).  My mother asked someone at her local Kroger store and they said there had been a fire in the plant and that it would be the first of December before the chili roll production line would be functional again.  AAAAAGGGHHH!!!!!!  However, this prompted me to to once again check their website for info.  No luck.  Nothing.  Nada.  So, I emailed them, not for the first time.  I did, however, receive a reply this time.  So, here it is.  For those of you who also moved away from the Field Packing area of distribution, this is what they had to say:




Good Morning Tammy,

Thank you for your inquiry.
Unfortunately we currently do not have distribution in your area.The next time you visit your local market if you put a request into the store manager or the meat manager they will in turn contact us and possibly get the product in for you.Meanwhile your information will be given to our sales team to see what we can do on our end to expand our distribution.Thank you for your continued support and Happy Holidays.
 ORIGINAL MESSAGE-----------------------------------------------------------------
From: TAMMY CUEVAS
Sent: Friday, November 4, 2011 08:49 PMTo: sfgsales@specialtyfoodsgroup.comSubject: SFG Website Contact Form EmailReason for Contact: Product Locator
          Good evening-
          Where can I purchase the Field chili roll in the state of    Florida? Is it available for mail order?
          Thank you
          Tammy Cuevas 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, there you have it.  Check with the manager of your local supermarket.  They may, or may not, order it for you.  I think I'll just stick with my original method of buying in bulk when I go home to visit and requiring all visitors to bring it to me. 

Until next time, Happy Cooking!  : )

"It's how you deal with failure that determines how you achieve success." - DAVID FEHERTY

CONTACT ME

TAGS:  PUERTO RICAN CHICKEN
VERY GOOD RECIPES - KINGDOM OF PUERTO RICAN RECIPES
VERY GOOD RECIPES - KINGDOM OF CHICKEN

0 comments:

AddThis

Pin It