Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Caldo Gallego (Gallician Soup)










¡Buenos días!  From time to time, I have posted Puerto Rican recipes, and frankly, they have been my most popular posts. Lately, however, I have gotten sidetracked and posted more "American" recipes, things that fall into different categories but certainly have nothing to do with Puerto Rican cooking.  Not just because I want more readers, but I enjoy cooking Puerto Rican food.  If you have been skipping those posts because it sounds unfamiliar to you, please take time to try at least one recipe.  The way the flavors come together is amazing.  Do you remember that feeling you got when you walked into your grandmother's house, or maybe it was your mother's, when she was getting ready for a holiday or just a big family dinner?  The smells were so wonderful your mouth started watering when you came in the door.  It smelled like home.  Of course, I still feel that way about Southern cooking, but I quickly gained that same feeling when I smelled Puerto Rican food.  I love the way my kitchen smells when I have that pernil in the oven, but my kitchen somehow never smells as good as my mother-in-law's kitchen.  I always thought that when walking into my grandmother's house on the holidays, I could smell the love.  It's the same feeling when I walk into Mami Cuevas's house.  She cooks with love.   Love, oregano, olive oil, garlic, etc......Trust me; it's a great combination. 



Caldo Gallego (Gallician Soup)
adapted from "SOFRITO - The Essence of Puerto Rican Cuisine"


1 C dried Great Northern beans
8 oz diced ham
small ham 1 hock
1/2 c finely chopped onions
1 tsp Kosher salt
2 Tbsp recaito
2 Mexican chorizo sausages, sliced
2 small potatoes, scrubbed and quartered
1/2 lb kale, washed and chopped


In 3-4 qt saucepan, bring 2 quarts of water to a boil.  Add the beans and cook 5 minutes.  Remove from the heat and soak beans for an hour.  Drain beans in colander, reserving liquid.  Add enough fresh water to make 2 quarts.  Add beans, ham, ham hock, onions, salt and recaito and bring to a boil.  Reduce to low heat and cook 1 1/2 hours.  Add chorizos, kale, and potatoes.  Cook additional 30 minutes.  Remove from heat and serve immediately.



MUSIC TO COOK BY


Until next time, Happy Cooking!  : )

“Tell me who you walk with, and I'll tell you who you are.”  - ― Esmeralda Santiago

CONTACT ME

==============================================================



ENTER HERE


_____________________________________

0 comments:

AddThis

Pin It