Monday, May 2, 2011

SWEET AND SOUR GREEN BEANS

So, as I said in an earlier post, I have not been at my culinary best lately.  After the, I still hang my head in shame, deli pizza  we ate last week, I compounded the problem by deciding to have french fries Sunday evening.  Again with the convenience of frozen foods!  What is wrong with me?!?  But today was better.  Coca-cola BBQ Pork Chops, Asparagus Casserole, Chilled Vegetable Salad, and Blackberry Cobbler.  And I'll post those later.  Today I want to finish up with the few good moments from last week by posting Sweet and Sour Green Beans.

SWEET AND SOUR GREEN BEANS
Adapted from Deep South Dish


1 lb. fresh whole green beans, topped and tailed
1 tsp kosher salt
6 slices bacon
1 medium onion, quartered and thinly sliced
1/4 c sugar
1/4 c red wine vinegar
1 tsp yellow mustard
Dash of Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp dried tarragon
1 tsp chopped fresh basil
Salt and pepper to taste

Fill a large bowl with ice water.  Bring a large pot of water to a boil, and add 1 tsp salt and beans.  Boil one minute.  Drain and put beans in ice water.  Cook bacon to a crisp; crumble four slices, reserving two.  Add onion slices to bacon drippings and cook until caramelized.  Add the sugar and vinegar to the skillet; stir.  Add the rest of the ingredients.  Bring to a boil; stir.  Add the chopped bacon.  Reduce heat; add drained green beans.  Toss gently.  Transfer the beans to a serving bowl; garnish with chopped bacon.  

MUSIC TO COOK BY

Until next time, Happy Cooking!  : )

Friendship is a single soul living in two bodies - Aristotle

CONTACT ME 

0 comments:

AddThis

Pin It